Tracing defines a way of logging during program runtime. It enables developers to debug performance problems, with additional context and timing points provided.
Distributed tracing workflows and OSS implementations have made tracing more popular in the recent years. "What is distributed tracing and why does it matter?" provides more history and insights.
- 2016: OpenCensus and OpenTracing as specification and tools.
- Tracers: ZipKin, Jaeger, Datadog, Lightstep.
- 2019: OpenTelemetry merges OpenTracing and OpenCensus
- 2020: Grafana announces Tempo.
- 2021: OpenTelemetry adds metrics and logs specifications.
- 2021: OpenTelemetry becomes CNCF Incubating project.
- 2022: OpenTracing deprecation.
Learn more about OpenTelemetry.
- Open source, easy-to-use, and high-scale distributed tracing backend.