All collections and specifications which distribute also tools and methods.
Instead of relying on static counters and gauges exposed by the operating system, eBPF enables the collection & in-kernel aggregation of custom metrics and generation of visibility events based on a wide range of possible sources.
- Cilium, network connectivity security and observability
- Pixie, Kubernetes observability for developers, auto-instrumented, scriptable.
- Falco, Kubernetes threat detection engine. Use case example: Package dependency scanning with GitLab Package Hunter
- Parca, Continuous Profiling
- Tracee, Runtime Security and Forensics
- BumbleBee, build, run and distribute eBPF programs using OCI images.
- eBPF: Why now, introduction and deep dive
- eBPF report by Liz Rice
- 54. #EveryoneCanContribute Cafe: Pixie for Kubernetes Observability
- 52. #EveryoneCanContribute Cafe: Learned at KubeCon EU, feat. Cilium Tetragon first try
- 49. #EveryoneCanContribute Cafe: Aqua Security and Open Source
- 42. #EveryoneCanContribute cafe: Falco and GitLab Package Hunter
- 32. #EveryoneCanContribute cafe: Continuous Profiling with Polar Signals
- eCHO newsletter
- Learning eBPF Tracing: Tutorials and Examples (2019)
- OpenMetrics is a Cloud Native Computing Foundation project, accepted as sandbox project in 2018
- Prometheus supports OpenMetrics
- What You Need to Know About OpenMetrics at KubeCon EU 2020
OpenTelemetry is a set of APIs, SDKs, tooling and integrations that are designed for the creation and management of telemetry data such as traces, metrics, and logs.
- Bring your own backend. OpenTelemetry provides the specification and collector only.
- KubeCon NA 2021: OpenTelemetry Collector Deployment Patterns
- Support for traces, metrics, logs.
- Prometheus vs. OpenTelemetry metrics
- Observability with OpenTelemetry is a great learning series by Thomas Stringer in 6 parts, covering Introduction, Instrumentation, Exporting, Collector, Propagation, Ecosystem.
- Learn how to instrument an Apache HTTP Server with OpenTelemetry
- OpenTelemetry for Python Developers
- Learn OpenTelemetry tracing using a lightweight microservice project
- Logz.io created a great learning series for OpenTelemetry getting started in various languages:
- How auto-instrumentation can help
- CI/CD Observability: Tracing with OpenTelemetry (GitLab proposal)
OpenSLO is a service level objective (SLO) language that declaratively defines reliability and performance targets using a simple YAML specification.
The project provides specification, tools, and more tools.
- A specification makes it easier to integrate and deploy common tools.