- Observability with OpenTelemetry is a great learning series by Thomas Stringer in 5 parts, covering Introduction, Instrumentation, Exporting, Collector, Propagation, Ecosystem.
- Prometheus vs. OpenTelemetry Metrics: A Complete Guide
Make sure to subscribe and also learn more in their online archive.
- Chaos Carnival 2022: From Monitoring to Observability: Left Shift your SLOs with Chaos
- All Day DevOps 2021: From Monitoring to Observability: Left Shift your SLOs
- All Day DevOps 2020: From Monitoring to Observability: Migration Challenges from Blackbox to Whitebox
- SLOconf Monthly, former SRE meetup.
- #EveryoneCanContribute cafe meetup
- 54. #EveryoneCanContribute Cafe: Pixie for Kubernetes Observability
- 52. #EveryoneCanContribute Cafe: Learned at KubeCon EU, feat. Cilium Tetragon first try
- 47. cafe: Observability, quo vadis
- 32. cafe: Continuous Profiling with Polar Signals
- 30. cafe: Kubernetes Monitoring with Prometheus
- 25. cafe: Observability with Opstrace
- 7. cafe: Docker Hub Rate Limit: Mitigation, Caching and Monitoring
- 6. cafe: Grafana Tempo
- 1. cafe: QuestDB
There are many ways to learn, and also define Observability. This list is not exhaustive, a recommendation by individuals who have taken the trainings is preferred prior to adding a new entry.
|Prometheus Trainings||PromLabs||Prometheus, App instrumentation, Kubernetes||@dnsmichi|
Michael Friedrich provides a 3.5 hours live workshop on Kubernetes Observability for the Kube Simplify workshop series as a free learning resource. After an introduction, the workshop starts with an overview of monitoring, metrics with Prometheus, and how to build and use dashboards in Kubernetes. Alerts, incidents and SLOs are practiced by example, building the bridge into more Observability data with tracing, logs and more event types. Chaos engineering is practiced with Chaos Mesh to trigger alerts when DNS errors force an app to leak memory. This allows users to practice the KubeCon EU 2022 demo themselves. Scaling, long term storage, security workflows as well as new innovative ideas with OpenTelemetry and eBPF are discussed too. The workshop includes exercises and solutions ready for production environments afterwards.
Practical Kubernetes Monitoring with Prometheus¶
- Monitoring, quo vadis puts the traditional monitoring in contrast to microservices.
- Prometheus and Grafana shares the basic knowledge on Prometheus, PromQL, Service Discovery and terminology required to understand.
- Kubernetes dives into understanding what to monitor, and how.
- Prometheus Operator dives into the concept of the package, and kube-prometheus installing a full stack. You'll dive into the UI of Prometheus, Grafana and the Alert Manager.
- K8s monitoring with Prometheus walks you through the - amazing - default Grafana dashboards, instructs you to deploy a Go demo app with the CRD ServiceMonitor, Container Metrics and kube-state-metrics exercises to practice PromQL queries.
- Advanced Monitoring practices with a Python app and own metrics, deployed to the GitLab container registry and to Kubernetes to query with PromQL in Grafana dashboards. Storage with Thanos/Cortex, Service Discovery is touched as well.
- Alerts and Escalations dives into the Alert Manager and rules, mapped into the PrometheusRule CRD.
- SLA, SLO, SLI keeps you busy with learning about Service Level Objectives for your production environment, providing thoughts on CI/CD quality gates with Keptn - and the OpenSLO spec, Pyrra and Sloth.
- Observability moves from Monitoring to metrics, logs, traces and beyond.
- Secure Monitoring discusses TLS, secret management, Infrastructure as code workflows, Container security and RBAC & policies.
- Ideas on more monitoring with Prometheus exporters, podtato-head, Chaos Engineering, etc.
A shorter version of the workshop as a talk was provided by Michael Friedrich at PromCon NA 2021, a zero day event at KubeCon NA.